Health Resources and Definitions
- Dr. Koop - Former Surgeon General web site that aims to provide accurate, reliable information and tools necessary for promoting a well-informed public.
- My Optum Health - A medical and health care resource for patients, their families, friends and health care workers.
- Medical Dictionary - This site provides an on-line searchable medical dictionary for medications, diseases and conditions.
- National Health Information Center - A health information referral service established by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that puts health professionals and consumers in touch with organizations that can provide answers.
Prominent Health Organizations
- Mayo Clinic Health Oasis - Updated each weekday, this site is directed by physicians, scientists, writers, and educators, bringing consumers the most relevant health information available.
- Medicare Information for Patients - The official site for the U.S. Government providing information on Medicare Information, and contains searchable databases for health plans, nursing homes, Medigap policies, and Medicare activities throughout the country.
- National Center for Infectious Diseases Traveler's Health - Part of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website, this site provides health information for travelers on specific regions and countries. Also, includes current information on disease outbreaks, vaccinations, safe food and water, and traveling with children.
- National Coalition on Health Care - The National Coalition on Health Care is the nation's largest and most broadly representative alliance working to improve America's health care.
- National Committee For Quality Assurance - A private, not-for-profit organization, the National Committee for Quality Assurance website provides searchable databases and ratings on health care plans for consumers, employers, and practitioners.
- Discovery Health - Part of the Discovery Channels' web site, this site contains a searchable database, and up-to-date medical news.
- Intellihealth - A source of current medical news that includes a searchable database with information on men's, women's, children's and seniors' health.
- Women's Health - The on-line resource for women's health topics and concerns.